The Answer Is A Resounding “YES”!
Benefits of Good Posture:
- Allows for easier respiration as you are putting your diaphragm in the optimal position for breathing, which can reduce pain.
- By eliminating pain from poor posture, you’re more likely to live an active lifestyle, which we all know isn’t achieved from sitting behind a computer all day.
- Headaches often start in the base of your neck and can often be eliminated by correcting that “turtle neck” posture.
- If this isn’t enough motivation, consider that studies have found that poor posture often equals poor self-esteem. Does this describe someone you know or even yourself?
- Proper posture reduces back and neck pain, alleviate headaches, it encourages confidence and even helps you look taller and slimmer!
Quick and easy fixes to improve your posture:
- The key to encourage better posture is to make sure that the monitor is at the correct height and distance (roughly an arms length and eye level with the bottom of the task bar).
- Simple exercises such as the “Chin Tuck” and the “Butterfly” target the neck and upper back muscles and are simple tricks that can be performed fast and efficiently at break time.
The Chin Tuck – A Neck Strengthening and Posture Exercise – video courtesy of Olympia Sports Chiropractor, Kelly Golob DC.
The Butterfly Stretch – Place your hands behind your head, as shown, and press to open up the chest and squeeze the shoulder blades.
KAREN E. LOESING
AGOURA HILLS, CA 91301
Proper ergonomics for remote workers
ADVANTAGES OF WORKING FROM HOME: 1) No wasted time on the freeways 2) Being around for...
How To Prevent Muscle Tension At Your Desk
Do your neck and upper back hurt everyday from working at the computer? Is it costing...
Are Standing Desks Better For Your Health?
ARE STANDING DESKS THE ONLY OPTION? I would have to say that the vast majority of my ergonomic...
Working On An Exercise Ball At Your Desk – Good Or Bad?
Exercise balls belong in gyms AND PHYSICAL THERAPY CLINICS, not the workplace! Rarely a week goes...
Tech Neck – It’s a Pain in the Neck!
CHIN UP! We've addressed the issue of "Tech Neck" before, but it seems to be in the...
10 Tips for Combating Eye Strain & Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS)
CVS & LCD SCREENS The year 2000 ushered in both a new century and a whole new set...
How Long Do I Stand With My New Standing Desk?
Standing about 33% of your day is a good amount! Things to Consider when Standing: Do...
4 Tips to Avoid Fatigue in the Office – It’s All About Your Posture!
Ever wonder why sitting in an office chair all day is so exhausting? The...
Think Ergonomics is Expensive? How About Workers Comp Claims?!?
That is to say, don’t do anything related to ergonomic organization of your business....
What’s up with that mouse?
ADVANTAGES OF USING THE "ERGONOMIC" CONTOUR ROLLER MOUSE? 1) Helps eliminate overreaching...